Welcome - I am glad you are here! Stay awhile - pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of tea. Look around. Leave me your thoughts - and perhaps we can enjoy this journey together...

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Failing Words

I think in pictures - and sometimes the image in my mind is so clear and powerful that I want to share it - tell others about the encouragement, comfort, and strength it gives to me, but as hard as I try, I cannot adequately translate the pictures I am seeing in my mind into mere words.  Words only seem to cause the images to fall flat.  They do not do justice to the beauty and power that plays in my head. 

Tonight, there is a beautiful scene occupying my mind.  It came into sharp focus as I was praying with our India Thailand Missions Team.  The image is full of light and shadows, darkness and revelation.  There is joy and dancing in the path of a bright shimmering light that is moving along the road of a city.  There are people all around.  Some are hiding in the black recesses, outside of edges of the light - watching, wondering, curious as the light travels the road - moving forward, always just a step ahead of those walking in its illumination.  And there are people walking in the light, following its leading, its clear direction.  They walk with confidence, not knowing where the light is going, but confident it has gone this way before, confident that it is their purpose to follow, confident that they are exactly where they need to be.

But there they are again - the flat, dull, lifeless words that refuse to capture the splendor in my thoughts.  The words that pale in comparison to the image I can see.  An image that tells me God knows - has always known what lies ahead.  That even though I do not see, do not know, and cannot comprehend what He is going to do - He does.  It is my response to move forward, to trust and to know, experientially know that he goes before me, with me, and that I do not walk alone.
I know I do not walk alone because in the image I see, I can see others.  Others who are waiting along the path.  Waiting for people to arrive that will bring them comfort, hope, encouragement and healing.  Several wait in the shadows, in the darkness, afraid of what the light will reveal.  But they are there.  Watching, pondering, questioning, hoping to somehow be pulled into the light. They long to be in the light - but do not know how.
Some walk with along the road with their eyes closed - or downcast.  So consumed by their position on the path, so consumed by what others might be doing, that they fail to see the beauty, the opportunity, the blessings around them.  Yet some walk with their eyes open to what God is revealing along the journey - mindful of the One who always moves slightly ahead.

Prayer is a powerful tool.  It is an invitation we have to step outside of ourselves and join with the Creator of our souls in His work, in His passions, in His ministry.  As He leads, I long to follow.  He goes before me, He goes before us.  Though I may not know the path - or recognize the journey, He is there, lighting the way I need to travel, encouraging me to move forward as He leads, keeping my heart and eyes open to all He has in store.  Even when words fail me - He never does.

Linking up with:

5 comments:

nicolewian said...

Yes, may we never cease to pray and may we always keep our eyes open. Thank you.

Mommy Emily said...

wow. i think your words did a wonderful job of capturing this vision, friend. my husband is always reminding me to keep my eyes open. i'm so glad to have 'met' you...

Joyful said...

I think you paint powerful pictures with your words. Perhaps they do not do justice to your visions but they help the reader to conjure their own powerful images. May God bless you and the team as you prepare and travel to Thailand. Journey safe and we'll love to hear all about it when you have time.

Susan said...

Thank you all for your encouraging words. It is always helpful to read what others think! And Joy, I guess I wasn't too clear - I am actually not going to Thailand, I was simply praying for the team before they left. The vision I had seemed to fit for them, and my life! So, I guess I still need to work on clarity! Thank you all again for stopping by!

Unknown said...

http://muddledmomsandmercy-melagray.blogspot.com/2011/10/wow-my-blog-was-just-nominated-for.html?m=1

Nominated you. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...